সোমবার, ৪ জুন, ২০১২

Pacquiao vs Bradley: Rooting For Tim Bradley To Blow The Whole Thing Up



Since the announcement that, once Miguel Cotto was no longer an option, Tim Bradley would be the man to get a shot to knock off Manny Pacquiao, I've been extremely vocal that I think Bradley will win the fight. Bradley is young, physically capable, mentaly strong and eternally willing to "dirty it up" in a way that Pacquiao hasn't dealt with in ages. His power, or lack thereof, is an obvious issue (and likely part of the reason behind his selection) but I still like him to pull off the major upset.

But, when I'm truly honest with myself, I have to admit that there is probably more to it than simply looking ahead and parsing out what qualities make which fighter better at what aspects of a fight. While I do honestly think Bradley will win the fight, there is a big part of me that wants Tim to win the fight just to help blow the whole damn thing up.

I'd never pretend to follow the sport as closely as Scott, but I do keep up on things and watch every major broadcast, both out of a long standing love of boxing and an obligation to be able to help around BadLeftHook when needed. But when I'm really unleashed on boxing coverage is for the truly "major" fights, when I grind away with 50-100 posts in a week about Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather's latest fight for SBNation.com. I love it, it's one of my favorite parts of being a blogger. For some odd reason, there is a part of my brain that loves throwing myself into that level of coverage on one subject.

But a similar thing happens across all forms of media for those same fight. People who don't handle the daily boxing grind are thrown into the position to write about (or talk on TV about) boxing. Except these aren't even men and women who follow boxing on a casual level. And it leads to the thing boxing fans have come to dread...the endless discussions about Pacquiao vs. Mayweather.